It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

2021 is drawing to an end and so are my holidays. I had a great time being able to spend time with my sister and her family, my parents, my aunt, my husband’s parents and his sister and her family. It was great to be able to see each other and hug and exchange gifts and eat. And boy did we eat!! Turkey and ham and cabbage rolls, two different types of salads made from whipped cream and marshmallows, and every other type of side you could think of! I even forgot to post a picture of #SundaySupper because I was so focused on the meal and being with everyone (which I think my mother would say that that’s actually more important). I did manage an after shot of the Christmas Eve feast. 




I spent the month of November baking and was able to do the traditional cookie exchange with everyone.  It’s one of my favourite traditions. 










The kids got to go outside once because the rest of the time was just too cold.  Which brings me to my worst of times.  As we were leaving Moose Jaw to drive back to Regina, a message popped up on the display of the car: Cabin Climate not available. And boy was it ever! We loaded up on blankets and handwarmers and thought we could make it.  It was only -30 and the heat was still blowing while we were charging.  However it didn’t take long before the car would only blow cold air.  We lost feeling in our toes around Pense. As we limped into Regina it became very clear that we weren’t going to make it home.  We called Roadside Assistance, arranged for a tow and a rental. We spent the night with my parents, picked up the rental the next morning and made the final journey home.

 

So now what? Looking forward, I usually make some type of New Year’s Resolutions.  It’s usually to be more positive or to make healthier choices.  The theme of our Christmas holiday seemed to be “There’s no rush, we’ll make it there when we make it there”.  I always liked that because I always seem to be rushing around and stressing about the next thing I need to do. I was told once to “be in the room you are in” which basically boils down to concentrating on what you are doing right now, don’t keep thinking about other things and forget what is going on right now. Maybe this year I will try and do that. Breathe. Be. Find joy in whatever brings me joy and make no apologies for that. Enjoy my hobbies. Take time to have a bubble bath and listen to my favourite songs over and over. Take pictures of weeds and blurry birds and my dog sleeping in the sun. Enjoy life.

 

Happy New Years

Comments

Popular Posts